Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Artist Statement- Kira

                    My work is inspired by Andy Goldsworthy's genius work. His work with rivers and
tides truly made a mark in my mind. While my art isn't on a large scale as his, the essence is stronger than ever. The journey on the path to create my work, from the ideas, to the sketches, and final product  was what fulfilled my satisfaction of accomplishment. There was ohs and aws in the formation of ideas that filled me with excitement and motivation to do my very best, even if it didn't turn out as planned. It is the journey, or in this case, the process that counts. Ideas motivated me to pour my heart and soul into a little masterpiece.
 
                     In Nesting Kamingles, the materials used was twigs and leaves. I used my hands to place each stick in place, balancing them atop each other. Using each previous stick to continue the rest of the piece was key. Truly, it was a game of stacking and hoping it wouldn't fall. Luckily, it didn't. The tree branches was a base and supported the additional nest shape.
 
                   In Ring Around the Rosy, the materials used was dandelion stems and flower. Using my hands, I lined the steams around the tree trunk in rings with varying distances separating each rings. The farther the rings got from the tree, the larger they became.
 
                   My art is writing the next chapter in nature. Nests are symbolic of new life, since eggs are hatched there. Those little birds will grow up and continue the forever lasting story of nature. The story of nature is everything. From a wild fire in Alaska to the cycle of an egg to a butterfly. Anything and everything that occurs in nature is part of Nature's story. When I sawed down a tree for Christmas, I noticed rings in the wood. These rings tell a story of the tree's life and al the hardships it went through. I wrote the next chapter in the story using the dandelion rings around the trunks. The larger spaces between rings represents a good year with lots of rain and wonderful and pleasant conditions. The small, tighter, and more compact spaces is the hardships, the droughts, and storms the tree faced. All of it tells a story and that story is Nature.
                   

No comments:

Post a Comment